The Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles’ Code of Conduct helps ensure all members are treated with courtesy and respect, and in accordance with the mission and core values of the organization.
Lakeside Pride is a musical organization committed to the education of the public at large about the positive aspects of the metropolitan Chicago LGBTQ community through public musical performances, workshops and non‐musical events. We provide a forum for adult musicians, inclusive of any background, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, to meet and improve their skills by playing in various ensembles, providing great music to the community along the way.
Our Core Values
The members of Lakeside Pride believe the following principles represent the diverse culture and values of the organization. Whenever members of the organization, artistic leadership team, or the Board of Directors take action or make decisions, such actions must not be contrary to these goals and values:
We value and actively promote:
A member‐centered philosophy. Lakeside Pride was founded as a member‐centered organization and continues to maintain this tradition.
Diversity at all levels. Lakeside Pride is committed to diversity within the organization’s membership, leadership, audience, and supporters with respect to age, race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, size, physical ability, economic status, geographic location, and transportation.
Member involvement in all aspects of the organization. Lakeside Pride is more than a group of artistic ensembles; members make it happen by being involved in concert production, fund‐raising, committees, and other volunteer roles.
Member participation in decision‐making. Lakeside Pride actively encourages members to provide input through attendance at board meetings, committee work, season evaluations, a website suggestion box, and other types of direct involvement.
Accommodation of a range of musical abilities. Lakeside Pride, through its variety of musical ensembles, affords performance opportunities to musicians having different levels of playing abilities.
Financial accessibility for members, audience, and supporters. Lakeside Pride offers affordable concert admission, a variety of fund‐raising options (and no tiered fund‐raising events), and low participation fees and uniform costs.
Accommodation for different physical abilities. Upon request, Lakeside Pride will provide sign language interpreters, hold rehearsals and concerts in wheelchair‐accessible locations, and provide large‐print music and programs.
Development of leadership opportunities for members. Lakeside Pride encourages members to pursue leadership opportunities (including such positions as board member, conductor, committee chair, or section leader) and provides guidance and other assistance as needed or requested.
Open communication. Lakeside Pride fosters open communication and dialogue between all ensembles, board members, conductors, and other members.
Respect. Lakeside Pride recognizes the importance of treating everyone with respect in all types of communication.
External community input and leadership. Lakeside Pride appreciates and solicits feedback from the general community while identifying and cultivating potential leaders for the organization.
As a Member – Expectations You Can Count On
- Considerate and respectful treatment and care
- Participate in ensembles without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, military discharge status or source of income
- A clean, safe, and welcoming environment
- A fair and efficient process for resolving complaints and grievances
- Experienced Leadership who are easily identifiable and approachable
- Experienced Leadership who will be responsive to your concerns
Ground Rules and Responsibilities
To ensure an environment that is safe, nurturing and respectful, Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles has established the following ground rules and responsibilities for members, patrons, and anyone who works with or volunteers to support the organization. Each individual involved with Lakeside Pride has the responsibility to behave in a manner that is respectful and courteous and does not disrupt the operations of Lakeside Pride.
Not Acceptable Behavior
The following activities are NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR at Lakeside Pride and will have consequences. Individuals engaging in these behaviors at any Lakeside Pride activity, performance, or rehearsal – particularly after being given an initial warning by an ensemble leader, board member or other authorized individual – will be asked to leave for the day or potentially being banned from the organization for a specified period of time or indefinitely.
- Rude, discourteous, or raucous behavior
- Sexual harassment or inappropriate touching
- Sexual or financial solicitation
- Use of inappropriate or discriminatory language
- Photographing or filming for other than personal purposes without permission
To ensure a safe and nurturing environment for all members and patrons, Lakeside Pride employs a “zero tolerance” for illegal activities. The following illegal, criminal activities will lead to cancellation of membership and/or removal from a Lakeside Pride venue for an extended period of time or indefinitely and notification of the Chicago Police Department.
- Possession, sale, or use of illegal substances
- Possession or use of weapons
- Sexual activities
- Physical violence or threat of physical violence
- Any behavior that endangers the safety of any individual or group
Observance of any activities against our Code of Conduct should be reported to either Lakeside Pride Artistic Staff or the Board of Directors. These individuals will make a grievance form available upon request to file with the Board of Directors by email at email@example.com.
Anyone who feels they have been treated unreasonably may contact our Board Chair by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any Lakeside Pride member, or member of the public, may submit a written complaint to the Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles Board of Directors.
You may request a Member Discipline Complaint Form from email@example.com or any individual Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles Board Member.
The complaint must include the following at a minimum:
- A detailed description of the facts known and circumstances relevant to the
- The Complainant’s source(s) of information, the names, addresses, phone numbers and other contact information for and of witnesses and other knowledgeable individuals as
- Any and all supporting information or
- The section or sections of the Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles Code of Conduct that was
Each complaint will be reviewed for completeness. If not enough information is present to initiate a review, the form will be returned to the complainant requesting more information.
If enough corroborating evidence is available to support a thorough investigation, the identity of the accuser will not be necessarily divulged to the individual being investigated. If the investigation relies more heavily on testimony from a single source or the evidence presented obviously implicates the identity of the accuser, it may not be possible for the accuser to remain unidentified.
After submitting a written complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- You will receive a confirmation Please retain a copy of this email for your records. A Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles Board Member will contact you within two (2) working days confirming that the grievance has been received and is under review or to request further information.
- The Lakeside Pride Board Member will then notify you by email within fourteen (14) working days of receipt of the grievance with his/her If you and the Board Member cannot reach a resolution, you may file an appeal by electronic mail (email@example.com) within five (5) working days of receiving the findings, requesting that the issue be sent to a secondary reviewer.
- A different Lakeside Pride Board Member will initiate a secondary review and you will be notified of the outcome within five (5) working If you do not agree with the outcome of the secondary review, you may request that the appeal be brought before the entire Lakeside Pride Board of Directors. Your request for the appeal must be made by email within five (5) working days of receiving the findings of the secondary review. Failure to file an appeal will indicate consent to the decision and waiver of all objections to the findings.
- Within ten (10) working days of receiving the appeal, the Lakeside Pride Board of Directors will provide you with a date and time to discuss your complaint with the board during a closed The Board will make their decision within ten (10) working days following this meeting, and will provide an e‐mail response to you with reasons for their decision. Decision from the Board of Directors will be considered final.
Suspension and Revocation
The Board of Directors will initiate membership suspension and revocation steps if any of the following conditions apply:
- Non‐compliance with the Lakeside Pride Code of Conduct
- Failure to contribute to the purposes and goals of Lakeside Pride
- Failure to pay the annual Lakeside Pride membership fee within the set time period
The member facing suspension or revocation shall be given at least ten (10) days notice in advance of the meeting of the Board of Directors at which the vote is to be taken and shall be afforded a reasonable opportunity for rebuttal prior to suspension or revocation of membership. The member need not be present for the vote to take place.
When a revocation process is begun the member’s access to Lakeside Pride rights and facilities may be temporarily suspended.
Official suspension or revocation of any Lakeside Pride member shall require a 2/3 vote of all members of the Board of Directors during a Closed Session. The Board may choose to vote electronically within 48 hours of the hearing if 2/3 of the Board is not physically present or if a majority of Board Members present wishes not to vote at that time.
Twenty (20) percent of the voting members may file a petition with the Board of Directors to request a special membership meeting to deal with the suspension or revocation of any person’s membership.
Lifting suspension and restoration of membership shall require a 2/3 vote of all members of the Board of Directors.
Members who have their membership revoked or suspended for any reason are not entitled to a refund of their membership fee.
Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles’ Board Members shall strictly protect member confidentiality in matters of discipline and take all reasonable measures to keep information dissemination on a need‐to‐know basis. The member waves their right to confidentiality if the individual shares information about their complaint with the membership for the purpose of holding a special membership meeting.